What curiosities do you know about puzzles?
The history of wooden puzzles is full of surprising information.You can see below some peculiarities:
- Since 1995, International Puzzle Day is celebrated on January 29th.
- The first puzzle for adults did not include a reference image to make them. For children, yes.
- In 1908, puzzles cost about 5 dollars, the average wage of a worker was 50 dollars a month, only the upper class could afford it.
- In 1932, during the Great Depression, a weekly puzzle was released with a price of around 20 cents. Therefore, it started with a circulation of 12,000 units, however, in a very short time it grew to 100,000 units, reaching up to ten million a week sold. Consequently, puzzles became very popular in a society that could no longer go out to the theater or dinner and puzzles were rented for about 10 cents a day. As a consequence of this situation, many unemployed architects and carpenters found a new way to earn money in the manufacture of puzzles.
- In Spain, orders for puzzles have increased tenfold during 2020 state, well above even a Christmas campaign. Almost all puzzles from 9,000 pieces were sold out.
- In 2020, a 1,000-piece puzzle with a Dutch landscape increased its sales by 3,000%.
- The 5 best-selling products during 2020 are first of all, puzzles, in second place, laptops, in third place, printer ink cartridges, in fourth place, office chairs and finally, webcams. In addition, Puzzles are on the list of the best gifts.
Choose your favorite puzzle from any of our collections, magical animal wooden puzzle collection or Van Gogh’s wooden puzzle collection.
- Valladolid becomes the universal puzzle capital, celebrating the First International Puzzle World Cup on September 28th and 29th, in 2019, with about a thousand participants from 40 countries, with the Czech Republic, Spain and Russia winning. In the individual event, the winner assembled the 500-piece puzzle in 105 minutes and around 4 pieces per minute.
- Santa María del Páramo, in Castilla y León, celebrates during the summer of 2021, the III Puzzles National Competition, in collaboration with Educa Borrás brand and Aepuzz (Spanish Association of Puzzles).
Do you know at what age it is recommended for a child to assemble a 200 piece puzzle?
- Most manufacturers recommend the following guidelines for age-appropriate puzzles:
- From 2 to 3 years old: from 4 to 12 pieces
- From 3 to 5 years: from 12 to 50 pieces
- From 5 to 6 years: 50 to 100 pieces
- From 6 to 7: 100 to 200 pieces
- From 7 to 8: 200 pieces
- From 8 to 12: 300 pieces
- From 12+: 500+ pieces
- The largest collection of puzzles in the world is in Philippines with more than 1,000 puzzles.
- In Spain, AEPUZZ association is the one that focuses the activities and most encourages this way of leisure.
- In 2018, the movie “Puzzle” is based on an Argentine movie titled “Rompecabezas”.
- Loewe firm presented in 2014 a bag called “Puzzle” with a price between 1,400 and 2,400 euros.
- In 1891, Ravensburger created his first puzzle.
- The Rolling Stones have a song titled “Jigsaw puzzle”, released in 1968, which is part of their album “Beggar’s banquet”.
- Educa Brand sends around 1500 lost pieces every month to all corners of the world.
- The Puzzle Piece Emoji appeared on WhatsApp in 2018. It means, “It's the missing piece of the puzzle” or “Now everything fits”
- In 1991, Paul Gallant, an American businessman, invented 3D puzzles.
- "Jigsaw" means "jigsaw", type of saw with which the sheets of wood were cut by hand to make puzzles.
Finally, we remind you that we have launched our magical animal wooden puzzles collection and our Van Gogh’s collection, which you are going to love.
Would you like to talk about a specific topic? Do you want to ask me anything? Email us at email@example.com, I'll be happy to read you.
What are you waiting for to start assembling a puzzle? Get your favorite wooden puzzle now.